- Online Store
- About Us
- Ayurvedic Treatment
Panchakarma (Ayurvedic Detox)
This program of deep cleansing, detoxification, purification and rejuvenation treatments is unique to Ayurveda. Your program is determined after an Ayurvedic consultation, and may include herbal steaming, abhyanga massage, shirodhara and other head cleansing techniques like ear candling and neti, herbal enemas, purgation and emesis.
Duration: 3 hour session Cost: $450 (for more than 4 treatments)
Cost : $550 (for 1 to 4 treatments) (Typically, a full treatment course last 7 days with a 3 hour session each day.)
Who can benefit from Panchakarma?
Do you suffer with any of the following?
- Poor digestion
- Constipation and/or diarrhoea
- Heartburn or reflux
- Nausea or vomiting
- Hay fever
- Sinus problems
- Poor memory or concentration
If you answered yes to one or more of these then you can attain great benefit from Panchakarma therapy.
What is Panchakarma?
Panchakarma is Ayurveda's premier mind-body healing experience. A unique programme of deep cleansing, purification and rejuvenation treatments detoxifies the body, strengthens the immune system and restores balance.
Who needs Panchakarma and why?
Traditionally panchakarma is performed on a seasonal basis or when feeling unbalanced or unwell. Although the body has innate detoxification processes, these can be overwhelmed by ongoing poor nutrition, lifestyle choices and stress, that weaken agni (digestive fire) and lead to the accumulation of ama (toxins)
throughout the body. Panchakarma removes this waste matter gently, taking care not to remove vital substances.
Panchakarma is regarded in Ayurveda as a must for anybody over the age of 40. Nobody would question the need for a comprehensive service plan for their car. After a certain mileage has been reached there is an acknowledged need for regular routine maintenance to ensure continued reliability. This involves replacing old lubricants, and cleaning and greasing components to prevent future breakdowns.
Panchakarma is a very similar process. Another analogy can be found in gardening, where one first weeds, then feeds the soil to rejuvenate it.
What happens during a Panchakarma treatment?
Prior to commencing this treatment, a consultation is required. From this an appropriate treatment plan can be devised.
A complete Panchakarma treatment involves a course of 7 sessions with each session lasting 3 hours, however in certain cases less number of sessions can be carried out.
Step 1: Preparation process
This involves two steps; oleation and sweating. These enable the body to release the toxins and draw them into the digestive tract where the body can then eliminate them via the appropriate detoxification process.
- Snehana (oleation) - involving a deeply relaxing Ayurvedic massage using medicated oils based on your constitutional type. This elimination process liquefies the toxins that are trapped within the organs and channels and stimulates circulation.
- Swedana (sweating) - in our spa capsule using medicated steam, during which the head is kept cool while the rest of the body is heated to assist
elimination of toxins. s in a sauna using medicated steam.
Step 2: Detoxification Processes
Some or all of the following processes may be used.
- Vamana (emesis) - A medicated decoction is consumed which liquefies the toxic substances in the upper digestive tract. After approximately 20-30 minutes the patient will feel the sensation to expel the accumulated toxins.
- Virechana (purgation) - Medicated herbs are ingested and after some hours the sensation to go to the toilet will occur and continues for 4-6 times depending on the intensity of the accumulated toxins. This process detoxifies the lower digestive and upper respiratory tracts and also removes parasites.
- Basti (medicated enema) – Various types of medicated decoctions or medicated oil are introduced into the anus using an enema bag and tube. Several enemas may be carried out over a time period. Dependant on the individual’s condition the patient withholds the decoction for a specific period of time. Then the sensation to evacuate the bowels occurs cleansing the toxins and faecal matter from the large intestine. Beneficial for: Crohn’s disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Candidiasis, Ghiardia, Diverticulitus and increased nutrient absorption in the large intestine
- Shirovirechana (head cleansing) - Herbal nasal oils are introduced by drops into the nostril, cleansing the nasal passages, thereby opening the brain channels, eliminating any trapped/congested/toxic mucous or aggravated kapha. Shirovirechana may also include the following steps:
- Ear candling
- Neti (nasal cleansing)
- Medicated eyewash
Benefits: Focused mind, enhanced memory recall and retention, sound sleep, relief from sinusitis, asthma, rhinitis and hay fever.
The body's ”Biological Matrix” is the intercellular fluid which contains all the vital nutrients required by cells for health, such as electrolytes that control the function of the neurons and electrical conductivity, vitamins, minerals, enzymes and hormones. Cellular waste products are released back into the matrix for filtering and disposal by the body.
After panchkarma is completed yoga practices including pranayama, mudra and bandha are provided to further detoxify the matrix. This assists on an energetic level to provide complete mind-body balance and rejuvenation.
What benefits will I get from a Panchakarma treatment?
The benefits of panchakarma extend beyond detoxification to improved mind-body balance, more efficient organ function, improved digestion, deeper, more refreshing sleep and a general feeling of lightness in the body.
You may notice changes on the mental and emotional level also, as stored emotions such as guilt, anger and sadness are released and dissipated, leading to you feeling more calm and contented. Panchakarma works to enliven the body’s self healing abilities so that deeper, long lasting rejuvenation can result.
Overall results include:
- Organ and system detoxification
- Rejuvenation of body and mind
- Feelings of lightness within the body
- Sense of balance within the body and mind
- Improved mental and emotional state
- Balancing of the doshas - Vata, Pitta and Kapha
- Weight loss if indicated
- Relief from the toxic overload seen in cases of chronic sickness
- Improved digestive function
- Heightened memory and brain function
- Alleviation from allergic states such as asthma and hay fever and rhinitis
- Improved length and quality of sleep